On Mon, Apr 11, 2011 at 10:40 PM, C. Hatton Humphrey
<chumph...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Adobe Systems announced an update to its Adobe Creative Suite 5 software,
> which for the first time will be available by way of monthly subscriptions.

We were doing a little math here in the office to see if this
subscription model was a good value.  Let's say you own Dreamweaver
CS5 and are going to upgrade to CS5.5.  Also - assume CS6 won't come
out for 12 months so we're talking about 12 months of subscription
payments.  Here are your upgrade paths:

Buy Upgrade: $119 (one lump payment)
One Year Subscription: $228 ($19 x 12 months)
Month-to-Month Subscription: $348 ($29 x 12 months)

The plain ole upgrade path that we've always had is clearly the
winner.  I can't imagine any reason to do buy subscription as an
individual or small company.

If you choose the One Year Subscription, you will have paid for the
"Buy Upgrade" amount after 6.9 months
If you choose the Month-to-Month Subscription, you will have paid for
the "Buy Upgrade" amount after 4.1 months

So Month-to-Month only makes sense if you plan to use the product for
4 months or less?!?!?  Dreamweaver has a 30 day triel so really this
is 3 months.

The only two cases I can think of where this makes any sense are:

1) Really poor designer/developers - I mean real poor.  Dirt poor,
eating ramen noodle for every meal kinda poor.
2) Really big agencies or companies who may have fluctuating team
sizes and want to "rent" licenses to cover the fluctuations (still
requiring a base set of bought licenses).

Or maybe Adobe is taking a hint fromt he Furniture Rental business?

What am I missing here?  The math does not compute.

-Cameron

--
Cameron Childress
Sumo Consulting Inc