I know a lot of people who drive to stores in IN because they do not charge
taxes on food...even if they are driving an extra 20 miles or so to do this.

-----Original Message-----
From: PT [mailto:cft...@gmail.com]
Sent: Tuesday, July 05, 2011 9:23 PM
To: cf-community
Subject: Re: Fair Tax (was: California tells online retailers ...)

On 7/5/2011 9:57 PM, Maureen wrote:

> I wonder how aghast people would be.  Most people don't conside how
> much the sales tax would be before making a purchase.  Do people drive
> to a different city to make purchases because the sales tax is lower?
> Even on major purchases like cars where even a 1% difference is a
> substantial sum of money.  I don't know anyone who does this.

Apparently, it is enough of an issue that states employ foreign and internal
auditors that check for these things and if you don't declare it on your
taxes, they can bust you.  I am sure it happens a lot between NC and SC with
Charlotte being right on the border.  One car dealership used to openly
advertise this with some slogan like "Cross the line and save a (something
that rhymes with line)."  They might still do it.  I don't listen to the
radio anymore.