Here is what I do nto understand about the helmet laws for those who
ride motorcycles.

In those states that have these laws, you can hop on your motorcycle
in a pair of shorts and a t-shirt, but as long as you are wearing a
helmet, you are 'safer' - even though the rest of your body has no
protection whatsoever.

Just requiring a helmet is stupid, if we are going to have laws
requiring people wear helmets while riding/driving a motorcycle, the
laws should also require other protective equipment as well.  And in
my opinion, all of which would be moot anyway, in most of the fatal
motorcycle accidents I saw in my almost 20 years in EMS, no kind of
protection would have saved the person - and most were wearing a
helmet.

I think part of getting your motorcycle license you should be required
to watch a debridement procedure  - that is where they basically take
a wire brush and scrub the dirt and gravel out of the 'road rash'.