That's interesting stuff.

Question: How much would I be willing to pay for particular freedoms,
including paying for other people's freedom?

Just because not having a law may cost me a few extra cents in tax dollars
as an American citizen, doesn't necessarily mean I should support the law.
Especially since there are other laws that DWARF this one in money spent by
tax payers on health. The obvious one is the legality of alcohol.

I know drinking causes umpteen millions, and maybe billions, in health
spending every year.....but damnit, I want to be able to drink, so i'm
willing to pay the bill for a little freedom.

Similarly, people who want to ride motorcycles without a helmet will cost us
a bit more in health spending each year.....but is it enough to give me the
right to tell them what to do? Dunno. I take freedom pretty seriously...more
seriously than money, actually.