If we do not use a dictionary for definitions of words we use, what
user are dictionaries or the words, for that matter?

The Bible is chock full of passages that, to me, are sexist (I find it
odd how it says the woman must be submissive to the man, but not the
reverse). Modern Christians sem to be  trying to apply different
meanings to the words used for centuries to make these passages less
offensive. In many Christian denominations, a woman cannot be a
preacher, pastor, or whatever word you want to use for the 'head of
the church' because the Bible states that (and I may have the exact
wording wrong, but I think it gets the meaning across) a woman cannot
hold dominion over a man.

I never understood why a woman would willingly want to be part of a
group whose 'rule book' basically states they are not equal to men,
and that they, as women, could never hold a position of authority in
the group. And this goes for more than just Christianity.