That definitely is a piece of picture. The other side of it, however,
is that the Federal government tends to have very specialized
employees who are not easily replaceable. You can't just go down to a
work center or post an ad on Craigslist and pick up a qualified air
traffic controller tomorrow. Look at the thousands of people who are
being laid off from NASA right now due to the demise of the space
shuttle program. They really don't have comparable jobs anywhere else
in the country. Probably not anywhere else in the world, really.
Furthermore, the specialized jobs that a lot of the federal workforce
does isn't really tied to economic cycles. The CDC is doing CDC stuff
regardless of whether we are in a recession or in a boom time.

So the low attrition is a combination of specialization, different
funding patterns and a rules structure designed to make sure that
people, once trained, stay in those roles and aren't easily tossed out
due to political pressure, etc. I think that a lot of federal agencies
have taken it too far and that, as you noted, there is an imperative
to get incompetent people out of those jobs, especially in vital
services (like air traffic control). Fundamentally, however, I don't
believe that it is the primary cause behind the statistics cited
regarding attrition.

Judah