But what does "conservative" mean?

 If we limit the definition to size and scope of the federal govt then:

* the tea party is not conservative as they favor a large federal govt wealth
redistribution for retirement healthcare and social security

* Rick sanatorum is not conservative as he favors a large fed government
presence in your personal s3x life (illegal contraception, abortion, etc)

* George w bush was not conservative as he grew the fed govt more than any
president since Johnson.

In other words the definition is meaningless.