I spent about a year working on the RJ Reynolds litigation, doing data
massage. They had plenty of studies too. I dunno if they were
peer-reviewed, but... point is, funding is one of several things you can
look at when trying to determining credibility. Author's other papers. Peer
review.

You asked about access to Current Biology  -- I don't but if you wanted to
move the discussion forward the link Sam posted goes to a free PDF. If you
could determine whether the article directly addresses the Rees article,
first of all, and if so what it says -- if not (if you can) see if you can
get the gist of what he thinks is wrong with the methodology. Then we need
to see if Rees made that error. If we can, and if we care enough to hassle
about this.

I am pretty sure we will wind up discovering that it's a journal article on
another topic. That is usually the way these things go. But I suppose you
never know.....