You are not the only one. On my desk at home is a notebook with all my
notes for the next version of my meta-analysis application. 150 pages and
counting - most of which are botched formulae for calculating statistical
power effect sizes and converting obtained probability values to effect
sizes. Makes me wish at times I stayed with single case designs.

10 word or less that is really difficult. Can I go for 30?

But you've essentially got the idea. I left out a lot, range estimation and
correction for error andthat sort of thing, but yes.

On Wednesday, February 15, 2012, Dana <dana.tier...@gmail.com> wrote:

> what not really -- the meaning of standard deviations? If so yeah you are
> right, I think but what Maureen and  I said is an .... ok 10 words or less
> version.
>
> In this case p=0.011 so theoretically if they did everything else right,
> these results should replicate 99% of the time. And not, 1%.
>
> I realize that's it's not a given that the 1% is random or that it won't
> occur the next time you repeat the experiment, but I think that is a
rather
> fine distinction for our purposes. Kinda like the difference between
> Springfield and Tyson's Corner, as seen from California, yanno? If I don't
> have that right then fine, tell me,  but if you're going to crank up your
> statistical powers I'd rather hear an explanation of that leave one out
> thing they did a thousand times, because that part I do not understand at
> ALL.
>
> On Wed, Feb 15, 2012 at 6:21 PM, Larry C. Lyons <larrycly...@gmail.com
>wrote:
>

>> Not really. It depends on the stats that are used. When looking at
>> statistical results, the way to interpret statistical significance is as
>> follows. Let's say the researchers found the two groups showed a
>> significant difference of p &lt; 0.05 . This means that if you replicated
>> the study an infinite number of times, 95% of these results would fall
very
>> close to the difference found in the first study. How meaningful that
>> spread is depends on the standard error of the studies, and other
factors.
>>  It also mean that in order to show a significant difference with a
smaller
>> sample you'd need a much larger difference to achieve statistical
>> significance.
>>
>> So you can make very accurate predictions based on fairly small samples.
It
>> all depends on the statistical power of your experiment. I'm too burned
out
>> to really discuss it now, but if interested Wikipedia has a pretty good
>> explanation of it   - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Statistical_power
>>
>> On Wednesday, February 15, 2012, LRS Scout <lrssc...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> >
>> > The sampling of 90 people is really really small.

>> people

I'd
>> are a
>> methodology.