the court trials had him deliberately making the shots without extreme
provocation, enough so that he was sentanced to jail time and psychiatric
treatment. Moreover in the civil trial that followed the criminal trial
jury found that Goetz acted deliberately and recklessly.

While yes he was robbed, his actions both before and in response to the
four men indicated that he deliberately decided to seek that out ( several
days of doing similar actions do more than suggest that) and shoot anyone
who attempted to rob him.

As I said he was hunting.