Come on.  He was looking to shoot a criminal the first chance he got.
You know it and I know it.

His enthusiasm for shooting someone clouded his judgement on when to
shoot someone.

That's what got him into trouble.

I will defend his right to defend himself, but his attitude going into
the situation lead to his handling it poorly.