On Fri, Mar 16, 2012 at 11:20 AM, Vivec <gel21...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Why even introduce measures that would remove assistance from the poor that
> need it on religious grounds?

They didn't. It's part of a federal law they are enforcing. It the
Dems that decided to play politics and take away the money to make
headlines.

> All of a sudden over the last 6 months or so this has been a focus of the
> GOP party, to remove health care and funding from women on the basis that
> they are possibly using that funding to get birth control and/or abortions.

That is a different issue that Obama came up with to change the fight
from the economy to Republicans hate woman. Unfortunately most can't
see it's a political game or ignore that point.

> Is that really of primary importance to the GOP? What's the problem with
> birth control beyond some religious argument?
> It just baffles me. At least I am reasonably assured that this sort of
> thinking will not spread outside the US, but you never know.

Why does it have to be added now? Why make a new law that spends money
when we're $trillions in the hole? Sad way to play politics.

> If the law says that Federal Funding is to be shared without prejudice then
> the Governor is fully aware that he has no grounds on which to withhold
> that funding from groups he doesn't agree with, but who are breaking no
> law. So yes Sam, it is the Governor's fault.

The law says Federal funds can't be used for abortion. The countries
largest abortion provider says the funds are separate. Texas is making
sure. Why is the Federal government withholding funds for all to
protect one company? That sounds illegal.

> And it may be politics, but the end result is that over 130k women as a
> result will not have the type of assistance which they need. What is going
> to be the societal fallout from that over time?

So why withhold the money?  Who took the money from the poor?

.