On Sun, May 20, 2012 at 4:27 PM, Justin Scott <leviat...@darktech.org>wrote:

> A word of advice... if you want to get serious about tax strategy, go
> to a local CPA and avoid the franchised "big box" accounting mills.
> They're basically marketing companies that just happen to have
> computerized forms that do some tax work.

I definitely second this opinion. Ask around and find a good recommendation
for a real CPA. You aren't looking for someone to fill in the blanks on a
1040EZ here, you're looking for an individual who (over time) will learn
the ins and outs of your personal financial situation.

If you know anyone who owns a small business, or is a consultant, or
otherwise has been working for themselves for awhile - ask that person.
 They probably have been through a CPA or two and can give you the name of
someone you can trust.

Paying a CPA $400 for good advice is worth it if they can save you $4,000
(or save you from an audit).

-Cameron