Afghanistan also has significant deposits of minerals used in high
tech manufacturing.

However, I really don't think that was the reason we invaded. It's
possible that some far right delusional folks thought we might take
over Afghanistan and suppress the Taliban and do a good job extracting
resources and helping guard against an alliance over oil between
Russia and the Middle East. But, given history, I think that most
people in their right minds would have regarded that as a rather
extreme fantasy.  We can bomb a country back to the dark ages, but
when it's already in the dark ages? Really, what are your odds of
success?

No, we've got the good old fashioned military industrial complex at
work. I know, seems trite, doesn't it? Eisenhower warned us against
it, after all. That makes it pretty long in the tooth. Obviously just
hippy shit these days that people tell each other as they fit aluminum
foil hats.

There is a huge amount of money to be made and a huge amount of power
to be had by simply being at war. Doesn't matter so much with who.
There are advantages one way or another with different enemies. Sure,
if we did manage to triumph in Afghanistan, it would have some nice
benefits. Same thing for Iraq. Or Iran. But that's all secondary. A
nice bonus, if you will. Keeping people afraid allows you to pass
further draconian laws that blow away privacy. Being at war allows you
to funnel massive amounts of money to a tiny number of big companies
and agencies with secret budgets and no bids. Spending trillions on
wars allows you to look at the increasing deficits and say, "oh no! We
need to cut everywhere other than defense!" and put people further
into poverty and even more into subjugation.

The brilliant part of the "war on terror" is that it isn't a war with
anyone. It's a war with an idea. No one ever gets to easily claim
"we've won" and be able to show it. There is no white flag from the
enemy. Anyone who ever says "we're done" will have a well trained
group of media attack dogs jumping them and saying "you gave up and
are a coward" and "you've placed everyone's children at risk".  Hell,
that's happened to Obama and he doubled down in Afghanistan.

Nope. The legacy of 9/11 is that we have a country where we funnel
almost unlimited (and totally untracked) amounts of money into an
endless war against unknown and constantly changing enemies while
sacrificing an untold number of civil liberties for no appreciable end
game. There are plenty of other games within a game (like the
millenarian folks that think that Israel has to have some sort of
weird war stuff to happen for the rapture to come) but when you have
hugely profitable companies making large amounts of money and
government power brokers gaining greater control over the populace,
they'll be pretty happy with a continued state of rolling unrest.

Authoritarianism suits large industry and large government. And war is
the best way to ensure that authoritarianism keeps a strong grip on
our country.

Judah