From: Judah McAuley [mailto:ju...@wiredotter.com]
Sent: Thursday, May 24, 2012 10:17 PM
To: cf-community
Subject: Re: Pics from the NATO Protest

Afghanistan also has significant deposits of minerals used in high tech
manufacturing.

However, I really don't think that was the reason we invaded. It's possible
that some far right delusional folks thought we might take over Afghanistan
and suppress the Taliban and do a good job extracting resources and helping
guard against an alliance over oil between Russia and the Middle East. But,
given history, I think that most people in their right minds would have
regarded that as a rather extreme fantasy.  We can bomb a country back to
the dark ages, but when it's already in the dark ages? Really, what are your
odds of success?

No, we've got the good old fashioned military industrial complex at work. I
know, seems trite, doesn't it? Eisenhower warned us against it, after all.
That makes it pretty long in the tooth. Obviously just hippy shit these days
that people tell each other as they fit aluminum foil hats.

There is a huge amount of money to be made and a huge amount of power to be
had by simply being at war. Doesn't matter so much with who.
There are advantages one way or another with different enemies. Sure, if we
did manage to triumph in Afghanistan, it would have some nice benefits. Same
thing for Iraq. Or Iran. But that's all secondary. A nice bonus, if you
will. Keeping people afraid allows you to pass further draconian laws that
blow away privacy. Being at war allows you to funnel massive amounts of
money to a tiny number of big companies and agencies with secret budgets and
no bids. Spending trillions on wars allows you to look at the increasing
deficits and say, "oh no! We need to cut everywhere other than defense!" and
put people further into poverty and even more into subjugation.

The brilliant part of the "war on terror" is that it isn't a war with
anyone. It's a war with an idea. No one ever gets to easily claim "we've
won" and be able to show it. There is no white flag from the enemy. Anyone
who ever says "we're done" will have a well trained group of media attack
dogs jumping them and saying "you gave up and are a coward" and "you've
placed everyone's children at risk".  Hell, that's happened to Obama and he
doubled down in Afghanistan.

Nope. The legacy of 9/11 is that we have a country where we funnel almost
unlimited (and totally untracked) amounts of money into an endless war
against unknown and constantly changing enemies while sacrificing an untold
number of civil liberties for no appreciable end game. There are plenty of
other games within a game (like the millenarian folks that think that Israel
has to have some sort of weird war stuff to happen for the rapture to come)
but when you have hugely profitable companies making large amounts of money
and government power brokers gaining greater control over the populace,
they'll be pretty happy with a continued state of rolling unrest.

Authoritarianism suits large industry and large government. And war is the
best way to ensure that authoritarianism keeps a strong grip on our country.

Judah