"... you've done to speed it up..."

No... except I installed bootcamp first.

I think - most people do not use bootcamp. Boot camp does take up extra
memory.

I use bootcamp - to boot directly to Windows - so that OSX is not even
loaded.

This speeds up the OS a lot... but it kinda defeats the purchase of buying a
Mac.

Why boot to windows is you are buying a Mac ??? - is a question I've gotten
a lot.

If you to boot directly into OSX + Parallels - you are interpreting
Windows... but if most of what you do is in OSX... that's the better root.

Windows running through Parallels and OSX has always been decent (for me)...
just not quite as fast as directly into Windows.

With my first Mac... I didn't care about Mac OSX. I was and still am more
comfortable with Windows.

I was more interested in the size of the Mac. When I bought a Mac 17... it
weighed less than 1/2 of the lightest (similar powered) Windows laptops -
and it cost more. But for someone who needed to lug the laptop around a lot
- size / weight was very important.

Even today - I don't use Mac OSX that much... especially now that the Ultra
Lights are available. Weight is no longer a consideration.

Usage will affect it speed. For (windows) video - I boot directly into
Windows... as running WMV files in OSX can be sllllooooooowwww. Many times,
I will have 4 or 5 video open at the same time. In Windows this is not an
issue. In Parallels... it IS an issue.

I'm not a use fan of Quick Time... or Flip4Mac either. I would rather use
Media Center Classic.

The 2 biggest things with Parallels is how much ram it has

And how much disk space is allotted to the Windows partition.

Remember - since Parallels treats Windows "as a file"... the will be a lot
of disk caching.

Increasing either of these (as with Windows) will probably help.