iStat also provides info on what is taking up ram hd space, network
throughput, tones of other stuff. I find it very useful for what it
does cover.

But you do know that both Apache and MySQL are already installed on the Mac?

I use a VM mostly for working with SQL Server when that is required.
Besides if you don't want to spend the cash on VMWare (only $50),
there's the open source Virtual Box that's about as good.