Even dismissing all the studies that have that error, the ones left
still show the same relationships, just not as quite as strong. That
said, I disagree with how they aggregated the data. In fact I am not
sure whether the approach they used was at all appropriate in a meta
analysis. The assumptions made are reaching to say the least. I saw no
control for sample size or test reliability. There may have been some
evidence of range restriction as well.

Moreover the Vul, et al study looked at the literature reporting
correlations between evoked BOLD signal activity and behavioral
measures of individual differences in personality, emotionality,
social cognition, and related domains, to quote the authors.  The BOLD
Signal or Functional image volumes are lower resolution scans showing
measurements reflecting, among other things, the amount of deoxygenated
hemoglobin in the blood (the BOLD signal).

The Kanai, et al study used a very different approach to the image
analysis.http://www.cell.com/current-biology/abstract/S0960-9822(11)00289-2#ExperimentalProcedures

So as I said, while the Vul et al study is interesting and has very
valid criticisms its not relevant here.