I think a lot of times this is the case, especially on faceless discussion
forums such as these.

I know i've been guilty of it. You formulate an opinion, and then you work
tirelessly to get it articulate and understood.....but if it's confronted,
it can be VERY difficult to stop, listen, and understand...think,
reevaluate, and then respond.

Here's a test: When reading someone's response to you that is in direct
contradiction of what you have said, are you reading it to see if what he's
saying might be accurate, or are you reading it and already thinking of
reasons why he's wrong?

If it's the latter, you are already working on your response.