"
http://www.examiner.com/article/liberals-on-twitter-attack-dr-ben-carson-with-racial-slurs-after-cpac-speech
"

I hope he doesn't produce the nastygrams.

I think it would demean him.  He would be relying on race as a crutch
instead of getting out his message untainted with political agitation.

-

I tried to emphasize the fact that while the Negro should not be deprived
by unfair means of the franchise, political agitation alone would not save
him, and that back of the ballot he must have property, industry, skill,
economy, intelligence, and character, and that no race without these
elements could permanently succeed. I said that in granting the
appropriation Congress could do something that would prove to be of real
and lasting value to both races, and that it was the first great
opportunity of the kind that had been presented since the close of the
Civil War. - Booker T. Washington