I still think this is just smoke and mirrors.

The US only gives him a 56% approval on an Iraq invasion. If he wants a
second term that won't work.

He is trying to scare Saddam and cause the Iraqis to oust him because
they are afraid of a US invasion. I am sure the meetings with the Iraqi
opposition were about that, and how they would form a new
democratic/republic style of government.

The one thing that makes me wonder about my theory is the lack of
support from other countries. If this was the US plan why would they not
tell them so they would continue to support it. Maybe because foreign
spies would leak this info to Iraq and none of it would work.

I know this sounds way out there, like it is that CIA plan that they
always come up with but everybody at the table is like, "nah, that is
too crazy, lets just fire some missiles."