It means that there is a goal to existence that is greater than us and
connects us (sounds like the force). If there is a God and he has a plan
then there's a reason for everything no matter how insane the event has
been. If there is no God then there is no reason for anything at all.
Nothing to look forward to when you die. No rewards for the good that you do
in life (especially the selfless good you do without anyone knowing). All
there is is you.
Now if we as a race were evolved enough to take responsibility for our own
actions and not try to impose our beliefs, etc. onto others....