> I'd love to take your word for it Judith, but isn't Israel a Jewish
> Democracy (their word not mine)? Then if you say most of the people are
> non-religious, then where exactly does the democracy part come in?

Democracy?  Its a form of government, you can read about it here:

I am unsure what you mean by the above but I think the problem is you are
taking "jewish" to mean "orthodox jewish religion", which describes a small
percentage of jews on this earth.

Jews can be orthodox, reformed, conservative, secular, humanist, cultural
etc etc etc.  Even orthodox jews believe that anyone with a jewish mother
(who hasnt' converted) is a jewish person, practicing or not.  From my
perspective this makes judaism a race of people, and not just a religion
(although Michael and Judith might disagree). I understand this concept is
difficult for some non-jews to understand.