I guess it depends on the outcome. If you attack the hijacker and are
successful then you are a hero. If you fail, then a couple of things
could happen.

You could be the guy that wouldn't go out without a fight, or the idiot
that got a plane full of people killed.

It all depends on perspective. In the past hijackings were not to obtain
a weapon(the airplane) but to get somewhere, obviously there are
exceptions, however this was the basic idea.

Society didn't change; the circumstances did, in the past if the people
knew the plane would become a weapon, at that point it would be
acceptable to try and stop it.