> With all the talk about consoles lately, I want to get one.  I'm
> figuring that no matter which one I get, I'll probably have a
> good time,
> but are there any glaring deficiences that I should lookout
> for?  I am
> leaning towards an Xbox at this moment, but I've flip flopped
> about 20
> times in the last 2 hours.

Well, my personal choice would be PS2 (largest library so you're more
likely find things you like) but in general:

The GameCube (and most Nintendo consoles) has stricter
development/quality guidelines.  So for this reason GameCube games tend
to be universally high in quality, but the total number of games tends
to be rather low.

I personally don't think that the GameCube is catering to younger
players (although that is an audience).  Games like Mario Sunshine are
tremendously fun at any age and the Cube has other "mature" games like
Metroid Prime and Resident Evil.  It's just the library will be rather
small.

However many of the best Nintendo games have come from Rare - a company
that MS recently bought.  So with Rare games on the XBox things could
get interesting.

The XBox should have more games that the Cube, but their quality will
cover a larger range.  Many games will be incredible but many will be
so-so.  The XBox is, nominally, the most powerful platform however so if
eye-candy counts more than gameply then it's a given.  But looking at
something like "Metroid" on the Cube or "Rachet and Clank" the eye-candy
issue seems moot to me.

XBox also has an exiting online offering where the GameCube doesn't if
that makes a difference.  There is a network fee on the XBox, but I
don't see this as big a problem as others seem to.  Also the XBox can
double as a DVD player (for small extra fee) while the GameCube can't.

I would still suggest looking at the PS2 however.  It shares many of the
features of XBox (online solution, although it's not included, DVD
capability, which is built in) but also boasts the largest, most diverse
library.  In addition you get built in access to the entire (with a few
small exceptions) PSOne library (thre are some GREAT games for PSOne as
well as many children's titles).

Also since the PS2 currently dominates the landscape (there are more
than 40 million units in homes - 10 million of the them sold in the last
four months) that trend will continue.  With so many customers Sony (and
developers) can take chances on quirky games that would never see the
light of day on other consoles.  Games like "Rez" and "Mr Mosquito" with
smaller audiences can be done (this is petty extreme in Japan with many,
many games, such as horse breeding, train, and dating simulators we'll
never see).

In the end however look at the games.  Personally (since I already have
a PS2) I'm proably going to pick up a GameCube so I can get some Metroid
and Mario luvin'  But at the same time I've got six unplayed PS2 games
and more great ones coming out every week... I just don't have the time!

Jim Davis