I think your example is a little flawed.  This situation is more like guns are OK to
have for defense, or whatever, but if you start shooting members of your own family
and then go into your neighbors house and start shooting them because you want their
stuff, your other neighbors probably aren't going to like it.

Now, you might get off easy for the first shootings, but you probably own't be trusted
with a gun again.  If you start collecting such guns, they are probably going to come
and try to take them away.  Fighting back isn't going to help you too much either.  :)

Now, my nukes are another story.  You can trust me with them >=-)