Stuff happens, and it was a long time ago. As I recall, I was coming home
from AU (late) and for some reason had to walk home from the line at
Avondale (after the last bus maybe?). This actually happened up near the
top of the hill in Hyattsville proper. Rather unusual for the area, which
although not rich, is reasonably respectable. I gathered from the cops not
totally unheard of though. I would say that sort of thing is way more
likely to happen on the fringes of Capitol Hill or around Metro Center.

::shrug:: this in and of itself did not sour me on DC. What really did it
was the housing prices and the murderous commute.