A reasonable position. I thought the "one sentence" was the one Gel quoted,
but you are saying the story only quotes one sentence of the report? I
guess if I were an agnostic leaning pro Bush rather than an agnostic
leaning to not believiing Bush I would not rush to change my position based
on that either.

Dana

On Sun, 8 Jun 2003 07:06:41 -0500, Andy Ousterhout <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> Dana,
> The Chicago Trib had an article on this as well and unfortunately, only 1
> sentence of the report was released.  For the record, my opinion is that:
>
> 1.  We had no "hard" intelligence that they had WMD's.  By hard meaning
> our
> own people on the ground who saw the stuff.  I believe that the
> administration said something similar in the September time frame.
>
> 2.  We had intelligence that indicated that they didn't have WMD's as
> well
> as intel that indicated that they did
>
> 3.  That only the supporting information was either filtered up or was
> believed by the administration
>
> The fundamental question for me is did the administration properly
> question
> the information that it received to create a balanced view and go into
> this
> situation with a solid understanding.  If the information that they
> received
> was balanced in that it had both supporting and dissenting views and the
> supporting views outweighed the negative then I'm ok with the way they
> sold
> the war (I am using this approach to try to isolate the repetitive
> discussion on whether the war was right even without WMD's).  If they did
> not get a full picture from which to base there decision, either they
> weren't asking or the intelligence community wasn't was passing up all of
> the information at hand or asking enough why's.  In this case, we need a
> thorough analysis of the intelligence community and the Bush
> administration
> should be held responsible for a lousy decision making process.  If Bush
> believed that there were no WMD's but decided not to tell us because he
> believed we still needed to overthrow Saddam, then he also needs to be
> held
> responsible for lying to the American people.  Fundamentally, I do not
> believe that the ends justifies the means.
>
> I just try not to react as each side in the political battle leaks out
> one
> thing or another.  We just don't know yet what really happened and may
> not
> know until latter when an insider decides to speak out about the process.
>
> Andy

Host with the leader in ColdFusion hosting.
Voted #1 ColdFusion host by CF Developers.
Offering shared and dedicated hosting options.
www.cfxhosting.com/default.cfm?redirect=10481