Dana,

If he doesn't care for (meaning sees no need to learn) calculus, try him in geometry
first.

If he likes the 3d gaming idea, and likes animation, geometry is the key.

The best math I've ever done is calculating camera angles and flight speed through a
3d underwater seascape used on a commercial for a 3d "ride".

Once the idea of _using_ math is in his head, you won't be able to keep him away from
calculus.

How else is he going to calculate the amount of air needed to fill his moon-dome?

It worked for me.

Jerry Johnson

>>> [EMAIL PROTECTED] 06/13/03 03:00PM >>>
Well so far math has been the subject I really have to ride him on. I
personally think that taking calculus was pretty important in my
intellectual development. But we can drag around here for the next four
years while I MAKE him learn the slope of a line or we can show him why it
matters. I doubt you can do much serious animation without math. I have
just had a talk with him and the current plan is, he will really try on
math this summer (I need to review calculus and stats anyway) and we will
try for community college and SATs in the fall. I also explained to him
that if he scores high enough on his SATs people will give him money to go
to college, which piqued his interest.

Let's see what the UNM people say.

Dana