Maryland as a state does not have a smoking ban.  Montgomery County passed a smoking
ban which was overturned recently on a technicality. They have since passed another
ban which (hopefully) will pass muster.

I lived in CA and really loved being able to go out to clean restaurants and  bars
after the statewide ban. In terms of anectodal evidence, I asked a waitress at a
coffee shop how the ban in CA had affected her. She told me she loved it, that not
only was it healthier for her, but also that people didn't stay and smoke for hours
and hog a table.  Turning the tables over meant she made more in tips.