At 5:06 PM -0500 8/4/03, CF-Community wrote:
>Subject: Hagerstown Ferret Rescue
>From: cantrl. a <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>Date: Mon, 04 Aug 2003 16:52:44 -0400
>
>This looks pretty sad, and it's horrible that these animals were
>kept in such conditions.
>
>I have to admit though - it doesn't look all that far off from the
>conditions cows, pigs, and chickens are kept in for human
>consumption. Those animals aren't necessarily kept in nurturing,
>fresh-air, environments all the time. I've seen veal calves being
>held in physical isolation because allowing them to exercise their
>muscles results in less tender meat - that must be a pretty crappy
>existence. And if you want to see rats (not mice), come check out
>the meat packing district of any major city - you'll see dog sized
>rats.
>
>But anyway, sorry this happened, and hope the ferrets make out well.
>What happened to the lady raising them - what's her story?

I never liked factory farm and slaughterhouses and never will.
However people have made the decision that they like cheap meat, and
therefore are willing to condone these practices. That is changing
however, for instance McDonalds is now requiring producers to follow
certain minimum standards in raising and housing the cattle  and
chicken contracted for McDonalds. Its a start.

As for Ms. Bachman, I have heard nothing about her recently, at least
on the ferret newsgroups, and mailing lists. I suspect that what
happened is fairly recently (last couple of years) and its
psychiatrically related. She did not fit into the definitions of a
collector/horder of animals.

larry
--

Larry C. Lyons