I think you are right in that something like that on a large enough scale
would have a big impact.  I don't think one or two here or there would be
that big of news internationally.  Except maybe since it's never really
happened on us soil has it?  I've never heard of a suicide bombing, fairly
regular small bombings around the country each year, but are any of them
suicide?

Anyway to do the large scale you planed would be harder to pull off, I
think.  If you wanted to hit a dozen or two or more towns, you would need a
suicide bomber in each area.  For best impact they should bomb on the same
day, ideally the same time.  Otherwise once the pattern is recognized,
future targets will be forewarned and harder to hit.

Basically it boils down to all that extra man power and remoter coordination
would be harder to pull of, then a single operation at a single target.  In
my layman eyes, at least.

Ian Skinner
Web Programmer
BloodSource