There are about 20 to 30 pipe bombings every year, according to the
FBI. There's one or two that result in the bomber dying. Whether they
are suicide bombings I do not know. But did you read anything about
the bombing last July outside of Sheveport, LA, or Bowie, MD last
October?  I did a quick google search on pipe bombing:
http://www.google.com/search?q=%22pipe+bombing%22&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8.
1290 hits, many of them in the last 3 years.

There were 7 specific news articles from news.google.com
http://news.google.com/news?hl=en&edition=us&q=%22Pipe+bombing%22&btnG=Search+News

The point is that they are small stuff (admittedly not to the
victims). They just do not have the impact of a major terrorist
attack.

larry