I've met the Pini's several times (I lived in upstate NY and they live, or
at least lived then, in Poughkeepsie so they went to all the local shows).

Very nice people - but some weird ass fans.  People consider trekkies or
Star Wars fans odd, but at least they're recognized.  "ElfQuest" fans just
as rabid but not nearly predictable.  ;^)

I was waiting in line to speak with them. I had the two "Beauty and the
Beast" graphic novels they did for First Publishing with me to be signed (so
kill me, I loved that show).  The guy ahead of me had literally EVERY SINGLE
collected ElfQuest book - a stack nearly two feet tall - and was wearing Elf
ears.  He told me that "every time I drive by Poughkeepsie I say, 'There's
Elfland!'"

I saw Richard later walking and mentioned to him "you have some really
intense fans".  His answer was "Yeah, we love'em but sometimes I'm glad we
have a table between us."

Some of those upstate shows were great - just a high-school gym or
auditorium, but SO MANY great people lived in that area.  Jim Shooter, Berni
Wrightson, the Pinis, and lots of others that I can't remember.  The Hudson
Valley was a gold mine for comic pros.

Jim Davis

  _____