I have the movies on DVD, the Rankin and Bass The Hobbit and Return
of the King, and Ralph Bakshi's Lord of the Rings.  The Rankin and
Bass stuff are garbage, the Bakshi film was an interesting
experiment. The rotoscopy technique he used was much better developed
in  film Fire and Ice he did with Frank Frazetta.

larry