------"Using the word "gay" to refer to
something as dumb or stupid is offensive because it equates stupid with
being homosexual."----

>From the beginning, that's most probably true.  But i've used it so much it has become its own word.  in fact it means alot of different things when i use it (silly, girly, lousy, hilarious, offensive).  it's become part of my vocabulary.  I bet when you say that something sucks, it used to mean fellatio or something.  But everyone uses it regularly, so it becomes something different.  I think the intent of the speaker should be taken into consideration.  And I hope you mofos (yes, it's short for "mother-DOER") but it doesn't REALLY mean "mother-DOER") are cool with that.

Of course, if someone on the list feels my usage of the word is gay, I'll be considerate of that too!

  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Kevin Graeme
  To: CF-Community
  Sent: Tuesday, January 20, 2004 6:51 PM
  Subject: Re: Political Correctness

  It's generally not a question of PC or not. It's a question of intent on the
  part of the speaker.

  What term is accepted or offensive is going to vary from person to person
  and more importantly in what context. Most of my gay friends use the term
  "gay" as the generic form. Usually when someone asks of a gay person if they
  or someone else is "homosexual" it's found to be humorous because it points
  up that the person asking is either naive or uncomfortable with the idea.

  Bantering terms like "queer", "fag", and "man slut" are generally only
  acceptable within a safe group of like friends. You don't have to be gay to
  use the terms, but if you're not part of their social community then it's
  going to feel wrong to some people.

  And of course because it's such a sensitive issue, any of the terms can be
  used derisively. And that's where it's not about PC or not, it's about hate.
  If someone calls someone else a faggot, it's typically intended as an
  insult. And an insult is an insult. Using the word "gay" to refer to
  something as dumb or stupid is offensive because it equates stupid with
  being homosexual. It's like the insult of calling anything having to do with
  money or greed "jewish". It's just rude.

  And now that you mention it, I miss Vernon too.

  -Kevin

  (BTW, not that it matters to me, but I'm not gay. I've had many gay friends
  including some that have been bashed and others disowned by their parents,
  so I have some strong feelings about people being anti-gay.)