I believe I know how this works.  It appears to be similar to something I
conceptualized quite a long time ago.

The oxygen content in the streaming "transformed" air is electromagnetically
treated in such a way that its refractive properties are significantly
different from those of standing air.  When a photon collides with a treated
oxygen molecule, it reflects (or rather "deflects") rather than passing
undisturbed.  I believe they are doing something like modifying the oxygen
molecules via electromagnetic induction (perhaps why it is called "IO2").

The reason why you see laminar flow in the image is because there must be
constant streams of these modified molecules moving across the image because
they are constantly being "normalized" back to their stable state as they
are either hit by incoming photons or experience turbulent mixture with
normal room air.  It is easier to electromagnetically control a thin stream
of air as opposed to a thick stream, and it is also easier to achieve
laminar flow with multiple small jets in a row rather than one big flat
nozzle.

This is the reason why you see image quality quickly suffer when the stream
is disturbed by even so much as a breath of air, and the area above the
disturbance reflects considerably less light.  Also notice that, in the
undisturbed image, the type at the beginning of the flow is more intact than
the image farther up the stream.

Just a theory.

Respectfully,

Adam Phillip Churvis
Member of Team Macromedia

Advanced Intensive ColdFusion MX Training:
* ColdFusion MX Master Class
* Advanced Development with CFMX and SQL Server 2000
http://www.ColdFusionTraining.com

Download CommerceBlocks V2.1 and LoRCAT from
http://www.ProductivityEnhancement.com

The ColdFusion MX Bible is in bookstores now!