Candace,

Most CD-rom based games that I play are able to use a program called
daemon-tools.  This is a cd-rom emulator and let's you use a cd-image
instead of inserting the game disc to play.  This eliminates all of the
latency of a cd-rom drive, plus the "cd" never spins down.

You can find the program [freeware] at:

http://www.daemon-tools.cc/portal/index.php