I've heard the divorce thing as well, but I don't know the veracity of it.

Here's an aspect of the translation issue though: the Red Sea.
http://ohr.edu/ask/ask273.htm#Q1

An interesting bible to read is the 1973 New Standard Revised. It contains
many footnotes describing literal, cultural and semantic problems with the
translations.

-Kevin

> Thanks. I was bothered by the fact that the king may have altered things
to fit his own agenda. And there were some folks here criticizing me and
making me feel like an idiot.

> I brought up the subject of divorce. Wasn't it true that in the original
texts, divorce was never permissable, but in the KJV it was altered so that
James could divorce his current wife? I believe I heard this in a history
class in college.