Hi Hatton,

Just be there for her and love her. If she acts in a way that may seem irrational to you, don't get upset about it. Remember, the fabric of her existence now has a major tear in it. It seems that everybody reacts somewhat differently to loss as well.

I lost my Dad a few months ago. He was only 60 and it could have been prevented easily. My wife has never lost anyone like that and she has a tough time dealing with me. Sometimes I'm a raving lunatic and I know it. Sometimes I'm ambivalent to it all. I don't even know what I'm going to do next. But she just loves me and knows that eventually, the dishes will get done, or the bathroom will get cleaned. I'll get it together and move on. Those little things just aren't so important and she loves me through it all. I'm coming out the other end of bereavement now and I have a hard time believing that I could love my wife more, for her support. She's a superstar.

I'll always miss my Dad, but the crying will happen less and I will think about other things more often. I suspect that your wife will go through a similar thing. There is no quick fix. But know that I have prayed for comfort for you and her.

~Guy