> "MMC/SD cards, which are more expensive and more fragile than CF cards"
> again, thanks exactly what I'm looking for, but as a newbie what's a
> "CF" card, I'm assuming not ColdFusion pinochle deck? *S*

Compact Flash, which is (relatively) cheap, ubiquitous, and can be had
in sizes up to (that I know of) 1 GB.  Things that support CF also
generally support MicroDrives, which have the same format, interface,
etc. but a higher latency, larger sizes, and lower durability (those
darn moving parts).

Can you tell I used to sell this stuff for a living?

--benD