> "MMC/SD cards, which are more expensive and more fragile than CF cards"
again, thanks exactly what I'm looking for, but as a newbie what's a "CF"
card, I'm assuming not ColdFusion pinochle deck? *S*

CF = Compact Flash
A solid-state media card measuring about 1-3/4" x 1-/14" x 1/16". Considered
more technically sophisticated than other forms of flash memory because it
includes circuitry inside that does things like check the data during writes
and such. IBM has developed a "microdrive" in 1GB and 2GB capacities in the
same form factor. Also the format can be used for more intelligent I/O such
as GPS recievers, 802.11x, BlueTooth, laser barcode scanners, etc.
(Obviously an mp3 player is really only going to use the basic storage
cards.)

MMC = MultiMedia Card
Roughly 1-1/5" x 3/4" x damn thin (about the thickness of a business card).
The thinness makes it very light and portable, but also more fragile. It can
be bent and snapped. Highest capacity is 128MB (I think).

SD = SecureDigital
Basically the same as MMC but a little smarter and with the capability to
have copyright enforcement of the music stored on it to prevent piracy.

MMC/SD is probably a bit more popular in portable electronics because of
both its small size and I think it's easier technically to implement.

-Kevin