  From: Jim Davis
  To: CF-Community
  Sent: Thursday, April 01, 2004 9:57 PM
  Subject: RE: googling email

  Of course the simple fact is that offering a Gig is definitely not the same
  thing as _requiring_ a Gig for each client - companies like this thrive
  under the fact that the huge amount of storage/bandwidth/capacity/whatever
  they offer will be used in full by only the smallest fraction of users.

  They could say 100 Meg, a Gig, 10 Gig, 100 Gig, whatever - it doesn't really
  change the fact that the vast majority of users will use less than 10 meg
  for all their email.

  This is a great truth for marketing - as long as you've got the resources to
  handle those few users that will use their full capacity (and Google
  definitely does) they get a tremendously attractive marketing point for very
  little cost.

  I think the key for Google will be defining a workable orphan policy
  (defining/deleting unused accounts and their content) and preventing the
  build-up of spam.  If they can handle that they can really offer whatever
  space the marketing department wants.

  Jim Davis

    _____