If you name each of the checkboxes the same (all name="survey_answer" or
some such) and give each a different value (name="survey_answer"
value="votedinelection" name="survey_answer"
value="incomegreaterthan30000") then you would get a comma delimited list
of all the checked boxes coming through
(survey_answer=votedinelect,incomegreaterthan30000).  You could then loop
through this list and do updates.  If you gave the checkboxes values
identical to database fields and defaulted the values in the DB to 0 or NO,
then you could construct the loop fairly simply:

<cfquery>
*insert blank record*
</cfquery>

  <cfloop index="answer" list="#form.survey_answer#">
         <cfquery>
         UPDATE dbtable
         SET #answer# = 'YES'
         WHERE id = #id_from_previous_query#
         </cfquery>
</cfloop>

This will be easier to code than 237 ifs, but on the other hand it could
potentially involve 237 updates instead of just one Insert.
Efficiency will be determined by percentage of checkboxes likely to be checked.

Hope this helps,
Judah