>I'll be connecting CFMAIL to L-Soft's LSMTP.  I've tested LSMTP to send
>over 80,000 messages an hour, but not with mail coming from CF.

ok, so your taking the non-CF smtp gateway approach, good.

CFMAIL (or any another CFSMTP client tag) can send directly to an ip
address (no DNS lookups?  That would be bummer, a tremendous waste of time,
if it couldn't.

80000 / 3600 gives 45 ms per msg at the LSMTP level so they must be
spawning a ton of smtp clients to arrive at that rate, 2 million / day.  ho
hum for Unix land and the kind of smtp MTA's on that platform.

Does CFMAIL spawn any number other than one SMTP process per CFMAIL execution?

Dan's 10,000 / hour is just one msg per 350 ms approx, but it sounds like
Dan was doing DNS lookups with CFMAIL so if you can get "CF_SMTP" to dump
on LSMTP's ip address directly, then you ought to be able to get much
better than 350 ms.

Is LSMTP's SMTPD server as efficient and multi-tasking as it SMTP
client?  ie, can it "take it" and well as "dish it out".

Len