>CFMAIL (or any another CFSMTP client tag) can send directly to an ip
>address (no DNS lookups?  That would be bummer, a tremendous waste of time,
>if it couldn't.

LSMTP handles the DNS lookups, using DNS caching.  The product is licensed
per simultaneous threads, but we have it limited to 200. Mail messages are
stored in RAM rather than individual files, so you lose a lot of I/O
overhead.  It also does connection pooling, so common mail servers like AOL
keep a constant connection while there is mail to send.  It's a very fast
MTA.

I guess the real question will be what work has to be done by CF, and how
fast can it do that work?   It sounds as though that is the real question.
I'll ask the magic 8-ball (and do some testing).

Chris Evans
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.fuseware.com

the body.