> I've got an unresolved question regarding e-mail processing.
> Does anyone
> know how to set up a particular POP3 mailbox so that every
> time it receives
> a message a particular ColdFusion script is executed?
>
> Some individuals suggested (at Allaire's discussion forum) the use
> CFSCHEDULE/CFPOP to schedule CF to check POP3 mailbox
> periodically as the
> only way. I'm not convinced. Besides that unnecessarily uses up system
> resources especially if that mailbox receives only a few
> messages a day. If
> I'm on a shared virtual hosting plan is there anyway I can specially
> configure the mail server to monitor for incoming email and
> then run the CF
> script?

It depends on your mailserver, but most (SendMail, Imail for sure) have
what's called "program aliases", which are addresses that trigger a
command-line executable when a message is received to them. The quick
and dirty way to trigger a ColdFusion template is to hit a shortcut file
to IE with a ColdFusion URL. When a message hits that program alias,
you'll see a little IE window pop up, and your ColdFusion script will be
run. (As a side note, these program aliases write the entire message
file to disk, and pass that filename as the first parameter to whatever
application is called.)

The better way is to script something with Perl or write a little
executable with Delphi that hits the ColdFusion template, so you're not
launching IE every time it gets hit. But if the volume of hits will be
relatively low (say, under 4 or 5 per minute), then the IE method works
fine.

hth,

ron allen hornbaker       õ¿õ¬
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]        ~