Do the download via CFCONTENT (rather than simply clicking a file link)  and you can
include a delete in there that will take care
of your problem.

EX: Here's one I do where I create an Excel spreadsheet that can be downloaded.  When
it is, I delete it.

<CFSET tempFile = #RandRange("100000", "100000000")#>
<CFLOCK NAME="Classlist" TIMEOUT="45">
 <CFX_Excel Query="QSort"
            File="D:\path\to\the\file\\#tempFile#.XLS">
</CFLOCK>
 <CFCONTENT TYPE="application/vnd.ms-excel"
            DELETEFILE="YES"
            FILE="D:\path\to\the\file\\#tempFile#.XLS"">

Dave

"Always Drink Upstream From The Herd!"

David Hannum
Web Analyst/Programmer