www.wddx.org is the best place to start to understand what WDDX is and how
it works.

Then, start playing with it.

<cfquery name="myQuery" datasource="#APPLICATION.dsn#" maxRows="10">
        SELECT *
        FROM TableName
</cfquery>

<cfwddx action="CFML2WDDX" input="#myQuery#" output="myWDDX">
<cfoutput>#HTMLCodeFormat(myWDDX)#</cfoutput>

Examine the output and you'll see what WDDX looks like.  Now imagine a page
that had nothing more than a query that produced a WDDX packet (no HTML, no
extra whitespace, nothing.)  Another server could use <cfhttp> to grab that
page and using the same <cfwddx> tag turn it back into a query.  If the
WDDX page accepted form/url variables, you could even customize the query
that populates the WDDX packet.

But it's definitely a cooperative effort.

Hope that helps.

Sharon