if I understand correctly. The application might be.

<cf_products method=display query=all>
  #itemid# #productname#<br>
  img src=#productimage#
  <hr>
</cf_products>

== products.cfm ==
<cfif thistag.executionblah is 'start'>
  Our Product Catalog.<br>
<cfelse>
  <cfquery blahbah/>
  <cfoutput>
     #thistag.generatedcontent#
  </cfoutput>
</cfif>

Hmmm. I could see a use for this. output specified within the body of a tag.
Don't think it works though ... (hang on I will try it later), maybe this is
a wish list item.

Right now you have to ???? correct me if I am wrong ???? specify the
variables as caller.varname to pass back to the calling template from the
customtag. and the assigned variables would be available throughout the
entire document (or even possibly overwrite existing variables. yikes.) I
like this wishlist approach.

Eric Dawson
Alive New Media
Looking for free (Canadian) beer, easy contracts, and sleep!
Work hard, play harder!

"You could try another approach."
My token Dave Watts quote (just trying to fit in. :)